Higher education these days is quite an expensive affair, specifically if one is desirous of pursuing the same at a prestigious educational institution abroad. Not only the unaffordable fee structure but also the living expenses are out of the range of many worthy students and are considered a long passage without any path. This gap is being reduced by a project for students from Commonwealth nations for countries who come from low- and middle-income households and typically cannot afford to study abroad, which is the Commonwealth Scholarship for International Students Program 2023. The Department for International Development of the United Kingdom offers the scholarship to help extraordinarily outstanding students pursue their higher education in the United Kingdom among facilities of the highest caliber.
This award is primarily intended to help students from Commonwealth countries to strengthen their skills. This fellowship has a one-year postgraduate and a two-year doctoral degree duration. The applications are open now for 2023. So without any further delay, let’s begin.
This is a prestigious UK scholarship, and FCDO, the UK Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office, is responsible for funding it entirely. Additionally, they choose more than 200 students from Commonwealth nations each year. Therefore, only those nations who are members of the Commonwealth are eligible to participate. There are currently 56 of them. Additionally, there is no application fee, so you can apply for nothing. You can also pursue a master’s or a Ph.D. You may study for a year if you are taking a master’s program. And it takes three years for a Ph.D. Financial support is also provided.
The alliance consists of 56 nations, one of which is present on every continent, excluding Antarctica. Some of the commonwealth countries are as under:
- United Kingdom
- New Zealand
- Sri Lanka
- South Africa
- Papua New Guinea
- Antigua and Barbuda
You can have a look at all 56 countries over here.
What are the financial benefits?
- Regarding the actual coverage, all of your expenses, including your airline tickets. Airfare from one’s native country to the UK and back. Therefore, if you are an Indian, your flights from India to the UK and from the UK to India are both free.
- Your entire tuition fee is covered because you won’t have to pay a single cent.
- You will receive a stipend, or about your living expense. If you are in London, you will receive 1516 pounds, and if you are not, you will receive 1236.
- You will additionally receive a clothing allowance for warm clothing.
- Additionally, grants for thesis work and study abroad and within the UK are available.
- Travel grants for academic purposes.
- Permission to travel home during midterms.
- A monthly spouse allowance of $233.
- Monthly child allowance of £465.
How to Apply for a Commonwealth Scholarship in 2023
Candidates must submit their applications through one of the nominating organizations listed, which include National Nominating Agencies, Non-Governmental Organizations, and Charitable Bodies.
Direct applications that have not taken the aforementioned paths are not accepted by CSC.
The candidates must keep in mind that each nominating body has distinct eligibility requirements. Therefore they must also check those of their own. Candidates must submit their applications using the CSC online application system.
Candidates must submit separate applications—one for the CSC and one for the nominating bodies—and both must be presented.
Applications that aren’t submitted through the CSC online application system won’t be considered.
Ensure that your referees submit their reference letters directly to you. A request for reference letters will be issued to the referees through email.
- The students must first submit an application to HEC because Commonwealth UK does not accept direct applications.
- For all of the candidates who make the shortlist, the HEC conducts an interview and a test.
- In the event of inaccurate information, HEC may disqualify a candidate.
- The online application portals for HEC and Commonwealth must receive all required documentation promptly.
The following documents are required for the 2023 HEC online application form for the Commonwealth Scholarship.
- Online application for postgraduate and doctoral degrees at Commonwealth.
- a passport
- Reference letter from two people.
- Detailed academic history; HEC Pakistan verifies all transcripts.
- a statement of intent
- Equivalent to a degree from abroad.
- CNIC copies.
- Residence permit.
- Plan your research and study.
If you fall under the following categories, you are free to apply for these scholarships
- A candidate must be a British-protected individual.
- A candidate must be a citizen of an eligible Commonwealth nation or a refugee from one of those nations.
- A candidate must be a citizen of a Commonwealth nation that is eligible.
- By September 2023, the start of the UK academic year, a candidate must be available to study there.
- The application must have included the needed documentation in the appropriate format.
- Visit the official website for additional information about the eligibility requirements.
Alumni Associations for Commonwealth Scholarships
Since the first batch of 175 Scholars came to the UK in 1960, more than 27,800 people have applied for Commonwealth Scholarships. Prime Ministers and cabinet members, Nobel Prize winners, educators, diplomats, writers, and executives in well-known NGOs and corporations are just a few of our graduates.
You will always be a Commonwealth Scholar, and we hope you will continue to be an engaged alumnus. Through our alumni network, you will have the chance to establish connections with a wide range of academics in your home country and around the Commonwealth, advancing your professional and personal development objectives.
Free benefits of CSC Alumni Network membership include access to professional online networks, regular CSC newsletter distribution, and chances to participate in local alumni networking events.
Every alumni association is unique, from the events they put on to the qualifications for membership.
The Commonwealth Scholarship is a fantastic opportunity for worthy and ambitious students who are unable to pursue their dreams of studying abroad due to a lack of funding. If you fall under the minimum eligibility criteria, then expand your goals and start preparing yourself for a better future.
The content is written by Shaheera. She has three years of experience in writing Educational articles